Despite their similar looks, the CR2016 and CR2025 batteries have several differences that set them apart from one another. For instance, the CR2025 battery is thicker than the CR2016 battery, and thus it has a higher voltage and a longer lifespan. Additionally, the CR2025 battery provides extended power to devices that require higher energy consumption.
On the other hand, the slim and compact CR2016 battery is popularly used in low-current devices such as calculators and watches, where the power demand is low. One may ask: what implications do these differences have on devices that use these batteries? How compatible are these batteries with different devices, and can one be used as a replacement for the other?
In this article, we will explore the differences between CR2016 and CR2025 batteries in terms of size, voltage, capacity, and other important aspects. Moreover, we will examine the pros and cons of using these batteries in various gadgets and explore some common uses of these batteries. So, whether you’re a professional that works with electronic devices or an everyday individual who wants to know more about button cells, read on to find out everything you need to know about CR2016 and CR2025 batteries.
CR2016 vs. CR2025 – Why To Compare And Use Different Batteries?
Thus, the CR2025 has a higher voltage and, consequently, a longer lifespan. The CR2025 has a capacity of approximately 170 milliamp-hours, while the CR2016 has a capacity of roughly 90 milliamp-hours .
Because of these differences, the CR2025 is suitable for devices with a higher current draw, such as small toys, cameras, and remote controls. However, the CR2016 is ideal for devices with lower power consumption, including calculators, watches, and small decorations.
Another reason for comparing and using different batteries is compatibility. While some devices may be compatible with both CR2016 and CR2025 batteries, it’s essential to ensure that you use the correct battery for your device. Using an incompatible battery can lower the performance of your device and even cause significant damage in some cases. Therefore, it’s always advisable to use a battery explicitly designed for your device or with similar specifications.
The use of the wrong batteries can lead to severe problems, including leakage that can damage the device. For instance, using a CR2025 in a device that requires a CR2016 can cause the battery to rattle, damaging the device’s internal contacts. Furthermore, prolonged use of the incompatible battery can cause it to become stuck in the device, causing damage to the battery holder.
Overview of CR2025
The CR2025 battery is a small, round-shaped battery that measures approximately 20mm in diameter and 2.5mm in height. It weighs approximately 2.5g and has a nominal voltage of 3V. The battery employs lithium chemical technology that provides a high energy density and a long shelf life. Its compact size and low profile make it ideal for devices that require a slim battery.
Main Features of CR2025
The CR2025 battery’s main features include its long-lasting power, reliable performance, and low self-discharge rate. Its long-lasting power is due to its high energy density, which allows it to provide consistent power to devices for an extended period. Its reliable performance means that it provides stable voltage output, suitable for the devices it powers. Additionally, the CR2025 battery has a low self-discharge rate, meaning it can retain its charge for a long time, even when not in use.
Technical Specifications of CR2025
The CR2025 battery features a nominal voltage of 3V and a capacity of approximately 170 milliamp-hours. Its discharge rate is approximately 0.1 milliamp, meaning that it can provide power to devices with low energy consumption. Its operating temperature ranges between -20°C (-4F) and 60°C (140F), making it suitable for use in various weather conditions.
Benefits of CR2025
One of the main advantages of the CR2025 battery is its long-lasting power. This is particularly useful for devices that are frequently used, such as remote controls and digital watches. Additionally, the low self-discharge rate allows the battery to retain its charge for an extended period, making it an ideal backup option for emergency-use devices such as smoke detectors.
Limitations of CR2025
One of the major limitations of the CR2025 battery is that its low capacity makes it unsuitable for the high power-consuming devices. Its small size also means that it is not easily replaceable, requiring specialized tools or professional assistance to change.
Additionally, the CR2025 battery is not rechargeable, which means it needs to be discarded once it has run out of power, adding to electronic waste. As with all batteries, care must be taken to dispose of them properly to prevent environmental damage .
Overview of CR2016
This compact battery measures approximately 20mm in diameter and 1.6mm in thickness. Weighing just 1.8g, its compact size makes it a perfect fit for slim devices.
Main Features of CR2016
The CR2016 battery is known for its long-lasting power, reliable performance, and low self-discharge rate. The battery’s long-lasting power, high energy density, and steady voltage output make it an ideal choice for devices that require consistent power. Additionally, its low self-discharge rate helps it to retain its charge for an extensive period.
Technical Specifications of CR2016
The CR2016 battery features a nominal voltage of 3V, a capacity of approximately 90 milliamp-hours, and a discharge rate of approximately 0.1 milliamp. It can provide high energy density while being able to operate between a temperature range of -30°C and 60°C. These specifications make it suitable for power devices with low energy consumption.
Benefits of CR2016
One of the primary benefits of the CR2016 battery is its long service life. Its small size, energy density, and low self-discharge rate make it a reliable power source for small devices that require steady power. Additionally, it can power devices with low energy consumption for a long time, making it an ideal choice for devices such as remote controls and small toys.
Limitations of CR2016
One of the primary limitations of the CR2016 battery is its inability to power devices that have high power requirements. Its capacity and discharge rate may not be sufficient to power larger devices such as cameras or high-powered portable speakers. Its small size also makes it difficult to replace in some devices and requires specialized tools, which could result in additional costs .
CR2016 vs. CR2025: Comparison
Makers and Manufacturers
When it comes to CR2016 and CR2025 batteries, several makers and manufacturers produce these coin cell batteries to meet the growing demand for portable power solutions.
Let’s take a closer look at some prominent makers and manufacturers in the industry:
- Panasonic Corporation: Panasonic is a well-known global brand that manufactures a wide range of electronic products, including batteries. They offer high-quality CR2016 and CR2025 batteries known for their reliability and performance. Panasonic batteries are trusted by consumers and are widely used in various devices worldwide;
- Sony Corporation: Sony is another renowned company that produces CR2016 and CR2025 batteries. Known for their innovation and technological expertise, Sony batteries are recognized for their long shelf life and consistent voltage output. Sony batteries are commonly used in electronics and are highly regarded for their quality;
- Maxell Holdings, Ltd.: Maxell is a leading manufacturer of batteries, and their CR2016 and CR2025 batteries are widely available in the market. Maxell batteries are known for their durability and long-lasting power. They are a popular choice among consumers for various low-drain devices;
- Energizer Holdings, Inc.: Energizer is a well-established company in the battery industry, known for its reliable and high-performance batteries. They produce CR2016 and CR2025 batteries that deliver consistent power and are widely used in numerous electronic devices. Energizer batteries are trusted by consumers and are easily accessible in many retail stores;
- Duracell Inc.: Duracell is a well-recognized brand known for its long-lasting batteries. Their CR2016 and CR2025 batteries offer reliable power and have a strong reputation for performance. Duracell batteries are commonly used in a wide range of devices and are favored for their longevity;
- Renata SA: Renata specializes in producing micro batteries, including CR2016 and CR2025 batteries. Renata batteries are known for their high-quality manufacturing standards and precision. They are often used in applications where reliability and precision are crucial, such as medical devices and electronic instruments;
- Seiko Instruments Inc.: Seiko Instruments is a manufacturer that offers a variety of electronic components, including batteries. Their CR2016 and CR2025 batteries are widely used in watches, calculators, and small electronic devices. Seiko Instruments batteries are recognized for their accuracy and consistent power supply;
- GP Batteries International Limited: GP Batteries is a global battery manufacturer that produces a wide range of batteries for different applications. They offer CR2016 and CR2025 batteries that provide reliable power for various low-drain devices. GP Batteries are known for their affordability and availability in the market ;
When it comes to battery capacity, the CR2025 battery takes the lead. It typically has a higher capacity than the CR2016 battery, allowing it to power devices for a longer duration. This makes the CR2025 battery a preferred choice for devices that require more power or have higher energy demands.
Both CR2016 and CR2025 batteries are generally considered safe for use. However, as with any battery, there is a risk of leakage or potential hazards if mishandled. It is important to follow proper handling and disposal guidelines to ensure safety and prevent accidents.
Both batteries operate at a nominal voltage of 3V, which is suitable for most low-power devices. The consistent voltage output ensures reliable performance and compatibility with a wide range of electronic gadgets.
CR2016 and CR2025 batteries find application in various electronic devices, including key fobs, calculators, wristwatches, fitness trackers, small medical devices, and more. They are commonly used in devices that require compact power sources with a long shelf life.
Size, Thickness, and Weight
The CR2016 battery has a diameter of 20mm and a thickness of 1.6mm, while the CR2025 battery has a diameter of 20mm and a thickness of 2.5mm. In terms of weight, the CR2016 battery is generally lighter than the CR2025 battery due to its smaller size and reduced amount of chemical material.
Both batteries have an impressive shelf life. They can be stored for an extended period and retain their charge until needed. Typically, CR2016 and CR2025 batteries have a shelf life of around 5-10 years, depending on the storage conditions.
CR2016 and CR2025 batteries are available with different terminal types. The most common terminal types are the standard flat-top and the raised-top terminals. The choice of terminal type depends on the specific device and its requirements.
The run life of a battery refers to the duration for which it can power a device continuously. Since the CR2025 battery has a higher capacity, it generally offers a longer run life compared to the CR2016 battery. However, the actual run-life varies depending on the power consumption of the device.
Continuous Drain Current
The continuous drain current specifies the maximum current that a battery can supply without causing damage or significantly reducing its capacity. Both CR2016 and CR2025 batteries are designed to handle low-drain devices and have similar continuous drain current ratings, typically around 0.2-0.3 mA .
CR2016 and CR2025 batteries are suitable for a wide range of operating temperatures. They can typically function reliably in temperatures ranging from -20°C (-4F) to +60°C (140F). However, extreme temperatures, especially on the higher end of the spectrum, can affect the battery’s performance and overall lifespan.
Both batteries are lithium coin cells and share similar chemical compositions. They typically consist of a lithium anode, a manganese dioxide cathode, and an electrolyte. The chemical reaction between these components enables the flow of electrons and the generation of electrical power.
Devices That Use CR2016 vs. CR2025
CR2016 and CR2025 batteries are used in various electronic devices. The CR2016 battery is commonly found in small devices such as key fobs, small remote controls, and wristwatches. On the other hand, the CR2025 battery is often used in devices that require higher capacity, such as calculators, fitness trackers, and medical devices.
CR2016 vs. CR2025 – Similar Features & Applications
CR2016 and CR2025 batteries share several similar features and find applications in a wide range of electronic devices. Let’s explore their similarities in terms of features and common applications:
- Size and Shape: Both CR2016 and CR2025 batteries belong to the same family of coin cell batteries and have a similar shape. They are both round, flat and feature a diameter of 20mm;
- Voltage: CR2016 and CR2025 batteries operate at a nominal voltage of 3V, which makes them compatible with a vast array of low-power electronic devices. The consistent voltage output ensures reliable performance across different applications;
- Chemical Composition: These batteries are lithium coin cells and consist of a lithium anode, a manganese dioxide cathode, and an electrolyte. The chemical reaction between these components allows for the generation of electrical power;
- Shelf Life: Both CR2016 and CR2025 batteries offer an impressive shelf life, typically ranging from 5 to 10 years. This extended shelf life ensures that the batteries can be stored for a long period and still retain their charge until they are needed;
- Watches: Both batteries are widely used to power wristwatches, providing a reliable source of energy to keep the timepiece running;
- Calculators: CR2016 and CR2025 batteries find application in calculators, ensuring consistent power for mathematical calculations and functions;
- Remote Controls: These batteries are commonly used in small remote controls, such as those for televisions, DVD players, or gaming consoles;
- Key Fobs: Many key fobs for cars or other devices rely on CR2016 or CR2025 batteries to power the remote unlocking and locking functions;
- Fitness Trackers: These batteries can be found in fitness trackers and activity monitors, providing the necessary power for tracking steps, heart rate, and other health-related data;
- Small Medical Devices: CR2016 and CR2025 batteries are also used in various small medical devices such as glucometers, thermometers, and blood pressure monitors;
- Electronic Toys: Many electronic toys, such as small robots or interactive gadgets, utilize CR2016 or CR2025 batteries for their power needs;
- Small LED Lights: These batteries are suitable for powering small LED lights used in keychains, mini flashlights, or other portable lighting devices ;
Are CR2016 vs. CR2025 Interchangeable?
CR2016 and CR2025 batteries have the same diameter of 20mm and voltage of 3V, leading to many people wondering whether they are interchangeable. According to several sources, while they have the same diameter, they have different thicknesses. The CR2016 battery has a thickness of 1.6mm, while the CR2025 battery has a thickness of 2.5mm.
This difference in thickness means that the two batteries may not be interchangeable in all devices. For example, if a device was designed to hold a CR2016 battery, it may not be able to properly hold and utilize a CR2025 battery, which is thicker. However, some sources suggest that the two batteries can be used interchangeably in some devices with the proper modifications, such as by adding additional spacer material to accommodate the difference in thickness.
In general, it is recommended to use the battery type specified by the device manufacturer to ensure proper functioning and avoid potential damage. If the device is designed for a CR2016 battery, it’s best to use a CR2016 battery, and if it’s designed for a CR2025 battery, it’s best to use a CR2025 battery, to ensure the proper voltage and battery life.
What Should I Consider When Buying CR2016 vs. CR2025 Batteries:
First and foremost, consider the application area for which you need the battery. Determine the type of device or equipment you plan to power with the battery. Some devices may have specific power requirements or be designed to work optimally with a particular battery model. Understanding the application area will help you make an informed decision about whether to choose CR2016 or CR2025 batteries.
Know the Specs of the Battery
Familiarize yourself with the specifications of the batteries you are considering. Look for information such as capacity, voltage, and chemistry. The capacity refers to the amount of energy the battery can store, and voltage indicates the electrical potential it provides. Understanding these specifications will help you choose a battery that matches your device’s power requirements and ensures optimal performance.
Pay attention to the packaging of the batteries. Look for reputable brands and ensure that the packaging is intact, secure, and has not been tampered with. Reliable packaging helps ensure that the batteries are fresh, have not been used or discharged prematurely, and are of high quality. Avoid purchasing batteries that are sold in damaged or questionable packaging.
Consider Shelf Life
Check the shelf life of the batteries before purchasing. Shelf life refers to the period for which the battery can retain its charge when stored under appropriate conditions. CR2016 and CR2025 batteries typically have a shelf life of around 5-10 years. Opt for batteries with longer shelf life if you require batteries for future use or if you anticipate long periods of storage.
Consider the Brand
Choose batteries from reputable brands known for their quality and reliability. Established brands often have stringent quality control measures in place, ensuring consistent performance and safety. Brands such as Panasonic, Sony, Energizer, and Duracell are widely recognized for producing reliable batteries.
Quantity and Cost
Consider the number of batteries you need and factor in the cost. Determine whether you require a single battery or a larger quantity for multiple devices or prolonged usage. Compare prices from different retailers to find the best value for your needs. However, keep in mind that quality and reliability should not be compromised for the sake of a lower price.
The Equivalents Of CR2025:
- BR2025: The BR2025 battery is a lithium coin cell battery that is similar in size and voltage to the CR2025. The main difference is that the BR2025 battery uses a lithium/carbon monofluoride chemistry, which provides a slightly different discharge curve. However, in most cases, the BR2025 can be used as a substitute for the CR2025;
- DL2025: The DL2025 battery is another equivalent to the CR2025. It shares the same size and voltage rating, making it a suitable replacement in many applications. The DL2025 battery is commonly used in watches, calculators, key fobs, and other electronic devices;
- ECR2025: The ECR2025 battery is a lithium coin cell battery that is comparable to the CR2025 in terms of size and voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices that require a reliable power source, such as medical devices, remote controls, and small electronic toys;
- KCR2025: The KCR2025 battery is a lithium coin cell that is often considered equivalent to the CR2025. It offers the same voltage and dimensions, making it compatible with devices that use the CR2025 battery. The KCR2025 is commonly used in various electronic applications, including watches, calculators, and small gadgets ;
The Equivalents Of CR2016:
- BR2016: The BR2016 battery is a lithium coin cell battery that is similar in size and voltage to the CR2016. It uses a lithium/carbon monofluoride chemistry, which provides a slightly different discharge curve compared to the CR2016. However, in most cases, the BR2016 can be used as a substitute for the CR2016;
- DL2016: The DL2016 battery is another equivalent to the CR2016. It shares the same size and voltage rating, making it a suitable replacement in many applications. The DL2016 battery is commonly used in watches, calculators, key fobs, and other small electronic devices;
- ECR2016: The ECR2016 battery is a lithium coin cell battery that is comparable to the CR2016 in terms of size and voltage. It is commonly used in various electronic devices that require a reliable power source, such as medical devices, remote controls, and small electronic gadgets;
- KCR2016: The KCR2016 battery is a lithium coin cell that can be considered an equivalent to the CR2016. It offers the same voltage and dimensions, making it compatible with devices that use the CR2016 battery. The KCR2016 is commonly used in applications such as watches, calculators, and small electronic devices;
1. What brand makes the best CR2016 battery?
Several reputable brands manufacture high-quality CR2016 batteries. Some popular brands known for producing reliable batteries include Panasonic, Sony, Energizer, Duracell, Maxell, and Renata. Each brand has its own manufacturing processes and quality control measures to ensure consistent performance and longevity. It is advisable to choose a trusted brand to ensure the best quality CR2016 battery for your needs.
2. What brand makes the best CR2025 battery?
Similar to CR2016 batteries, there are several reputable brands that manufacture reliable CR2025 batteries. Panasonic, Sony, Energizer, Duracell, Maxell, Renata, and Toshiba are some well-known brands that produce high-quality CR2025 batteries. These brands have established themselves as leaders in the battery industry and are known for their reliable performance and longevity.
3. Can you replace CR2016 with CR2025 and vice versa?
CR2016 and CR2025 batteries have similar dimensions and voltage ratings, which may lead to the assumption that they are interchangeable.
While they can be physically compatible in some cases, it is important to consider their capacity and power requirements before using them interchangeably. The CR2025 battery typically has a higher capacity than the CR2016 battery, meaning it can provide more power over a longer period.
Using a CR2016 battery in a device that requires a CR2025 battery might result in shorter runtime or reduced performance. It is advisable to consult the device’s user manual or contact the manufacturer to determine the appropriate battery model for your specific device.
4. What are CR2016 batteries used for?
CR2016 batteries are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices. They find application in devices such as wristwatches, calculators, key fobs, remote controls, small medical devices (e.g., glucometers, thermometers), fitness trackers, small LED lights, and electronic toys. These batteries are suitable for devices that require a compact and long-lasting power source.
5. Is CR2025 the same as CR2032?
No, CR2025 and CR2032 batteries are not the same. While they share similarities in terms of size and voltage (both are 3V coin cell batteries), they have different capacities and dimensions. The CR2025 battery is thinner and has a smaller diameter compared to the CR2032 battery. It is important to use the correct battery type specified by the device manufacturer to ensure optimal performance.
6. Can I use a CR1616 instead of CR2025?
CR1616 and CR2025 batteries have different dimensions and capacities, so they are not interchangeable. The CR1616 battery is thinner and has a smaller diameter compared to the CR2025 battery.
Using a CR1616 battery instead of a CR2025 battery may result in insufficient power output and shorter runtime. It is important to use the battery model specified by the device manufacturer to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
7. Are CR2016 and CR2032 the same?
No, CR2016 and CR2032 batteries are different. They have different capacities and dimensions. The CR2016 battery is thinner and has a smaller diameter compared to the CR2032 battery. It is essential to use the correct battery type specified by the device manufacturer to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
8. Can I use a CR2016 instead of a CR2025?
While CR2016 and CR2025 batteries share similarities, such as voltage and shape, they have different capacities. The CR2025 battery typically has a higher capacity than the CR2016 battery. Using a CR2016 battery instead of a CR2025 battery may result in shorter runtime or reduced performance, especially in devices with higher energy demands. It is recommended to use the battery model specified by the device manufacturer to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
9. Can I use a CR2032 in place of a CR2016 in my key fob?
It is generally not recommended to use a CR2032 battery in place of a CR2016 battery or vice versa without consulting the manufacturer or reviewing the device specifications. While they have the same voltage rating, the CR2032 battery is thicker and has a larger diameter than the CR2016 battery. Using a battery with incorrect dimensions may lead to compatibility issues, such as improper fit or potential damage to the device. It is best to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for battery replacements in key fobs or contact them directly for guidance.
10. Do CR2016 batteries leak?
However, if properly handled, stored, and used within their recommended operating conditions, the risk of leakage is minimal. It is important to inspect batteries regularly for signs of damage or corrosion and replace them if any issues are detected.
11. What are CR2025 batteries used for?
CR2025 batteries find application in a wide range of electronic devices. They are commonly used in devices such as wristwatches, calculators, key fobs, remote controls, medical devices (e.g., glucose meters, blood pressure monitors), small electronic gadgets, fitness trackers, and small LED lights. These batteries are suitable for low-power devices that require a compact and reliable power source.
12. Which is better – CR2025 or CR2032?
The suitability of CR2025 or CR2032 batteries depends on the specific device and its power requirements. Both batteries have a voltage rating of 3V, but the CR2032 battery has a higher capacity and is slightly thicker. If a device specifically requires a CR2032 battery, it is generally recommended to use that specific model. However, if a device can accommodate both battery sizes, the choice depends on the device’s power requirements and physical constraints.
13. Is there a difference between 3V batteries?
The term “3V battery” refers to the nominal voltage rating of the battery. However, different battery models and sizes can have variations in capacity, dimensions, and chemistry, even if they share the same voltage rating. It is important to consider the specific battery model and its specifications to ensure compatibility and optimal performance in your device.
14. Can you swap CR2025 and CR2032?
CR2025 and CR2032 batteries have similar voltage ratings but differ in dimensions and capacity. While they may fit in some devices interchangeably, it is crucial to consider their capacity and power requirements. The CR2032 battery has a higher capacity than the CR2025 battery, which means it can provide more power over a longer period. Swapping batteries without considering these factors may result in reduced performance or shorter runtime.
15. Can I use a 2032 battery instead of the 2016 battery?
No, a 2032 battery cannot be used as a replacement for a 2016 battery. The CR2032 battery has a larger diameter and is thicker compared to the CR2016 battery. Using a 2032 battery in place of a 2016 battery may lead to compatibility issues, such as improper fit or potential damage to the device. It is important to use the battery model specified by the device manufacturer for optimal performance.
16. Can you take CR2032 batteries on a plane?
Lithium coin cell batteries such as CR2032 are generally allowed to be carried in both carry-on and checked baggage on airplanes. However, it is recommended to check with the specific airline or transportation regulations of the country you are traveling to for any restrictions or limitations on battery quantities or types. It is also recommended to pack batteries securely and individually in a manner that prevents short circuits to ensure safe transportation.
17. What is the minimum voltage for CR2025?
The nominal voltage rating for CR2025 batteries is 3V. However, it is important to note that the actual voltage of a new CR2025 battery can be slightly higher than the nominal voltage. Over time, as the battery discharges, the voltage gradually drops. When the voltage reaches around 2.5V, the battery is typically considered to have reached its end of life for most applications.
18. How long do CR2025 3V batteries last?
The lifespan of a CR2025 battery depends on various factors, including the specific device it is used in, the power consumption of the device, and the operating conditions. Generally, CR2025 batteries can last anywhere from one to five years, but this can vary significantly. Devices with higher power demands may consume the battery’s energy more quickly, resulting in a shorter lifespan.
19. Can I use CR2032 in the VW key fob?
To determine the appropriate battery for your VW key fob, it is recommended to refer to the vehicle’s user manual or contact the manufacturer or authorized service center for accurate information. While CR2032 batteries are commonly used in key fobs, it is important to ensure compatibility with the specific make and model of your VW key fob.
20. Can CR2016 be recharged?
No, CR2016 batteries are not designed to be recharged. They are classified as primary (non-rechargeable) lithium batteries. Attempting to recharge a CR2016 battery can lead to leakage, overheating, or other safety hazards. It is best to dispose of used CR2016 batteries properly and use new batteries for your devices.
Useful Video: Car Key Battery Can you use a CR2025 instead of a CR2016?