In today’s digital age, batteries have become an integral part of our lives, powering an array of devices ranging from small electronic gadgets to sophisticated devices. Among the countless battery types available, CR2032 and CR2450 batteries stand out as popular choices due to their compact size and reliable performance.
However, despite their similar appearances, these batteries possess distinct characteristics that make them suitable for specific applications. Understanding the differences between CR2032 and CR2450 batteries is crucial for making informed choices and optimizing device performance.
If you have ever gone to buy batteries, then you’ve probably seen the names CR2032 and CR2450. But what is the difference between these two common battery sizes? In this article, we will discuss the differences between CR2032 and CR2450 batteries so that you can make an informed decision when it comes time to purchase them. We will discuss their size, capacity, voltage, and other important factors to consider. Let’s get started!
What Are Button Batteries?
Button batteries are typically classified based on their standardized size codes, such as CR2032 or CR2450, which indicate their dimensions and specifications. They are designed to deliver a steady and reliable power supply for devices that require low to moderate energy consumption.
These batteries are commonly used in a variety of everyday electronic devices. They can be found in watches, calculators, remote controls, keyless entry systems, small medical devices, fitness trackers, hearing aids, and many other portable gadgets. Additionally, they are also used in some computer motherboards, backup systems, and certain industrial applications.
Button batteries come in various chemistries, including alkaline, lithium, and silver oxide. Each type of chemistry offers different performance characteristics, such as voltage, capacity, and shelf life. The most common button battery chemistries are lithium-based, known for their high energy density and longer shelf life.
What Is A CR2450 Battery:
The CR2025 battery is a lithium coin cell battery with a diameter of 20mm and a thickness of 2.5mm. It is a small and flat battery that is commonly used in low-power devices such as watches, calculators, remote controls, and small electronic toys. It is part of the CR series of batteries, which are characterized by their coin shape, lithium chemistry, and high density.
How Long Do CR2025 Batteries Last?
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing a battery is how long it will last. The lifespan of a CR2025 battery depends on several factors, including the type of device it is being used in, the frequency of use, and the temperature of the environment.
Generally, CR2025 batteries have a lifespan of around 3-5 years when used in low-power devices that are used infrequently. However, if the battery is used in a high-drain device, such as a digital camera or a handheld gaming device, its lifespan may be shorter.
It is important to note that when a CR2025 battery starts to lose power, it may not die suddenly. Instead, it may gradually lose its voltage, resulting in reduced performance or a device that does not function properly.
What Uses a CR2025 Battery?
The CR2025 battery is used in a wide range of low-power devices. Some of the most common uses include:
- Watches – Many watches use CR2025 batteries to power their timekeeping functions;
- Calculators – The small size and low power requirements of calculators make them a perfect match for CR2025 batteries;
- Remote controls – The CR2025 battery is also commonly used in remote controls for televisions, DVD players, and other electronic devices;
- Small electronic toys – Many small electronic toys, such as keychain games, use CR2025 batteries;
Technical Specifications Of The CR2025 Battery:
The technical specifications of the CR2025 battery can vary slightly between different manufacturers.
However, the following are general technical specifications that apply to most CR2025 batteries:
- Voltage – The nominal voltage of a CR2025 battery is 3 volts, which is higher than the voltage of most other coin cell batteries;
- Capacity – The capacity of a CR2025 battery ranges from 160mAh to 180mAh, depending on the manufacturer. This means that the battery can deliver this amount of energy over a certain period of time;
- Chemistry – CR2025 batteries are made with lithium chemistry, which provides a high energy density. This means that they can deliver a lot of power in a small package;
- Dimensions – The dimensions of a CR2025 battery are 20mm in diameter and 2.5mm in thickness;
- Shelf Life – The shelf life of a CR2025 battery varies between manufacturers, but it is typically around 10 years. This means that if you have a spare CR2025 battery that has been stored properly, it should still be usable even after a decade ;
What Is A CR2032 Battery:
The CR2032 battery is a 3V lithium coin-cell battery with a diameter of 20mm and a thickness of 3.2mm. The battery is small and flat, similar to other coin cell batteries, making it suitable for various low-power electronic devices. The CR2032 battery is part of the CR series of batteries, which are characterized by their coin shape, lithium chemistry, and high energy density.
How Long Do CR2032 Batteries Last?
The lifespan of a CR2032 battery largely depends on factors like the device it is being used in, frequency of use, and ambient temperature.
However, these batteries can also last more than ten years if they are stored at room temperature and are not used frequently.
Yet, in high-drain applications like portable medical devices, it may last up to 6 months. Moreover, when a CR2032 battery starts to die, its voltage tends to drop gradually, and the device using the battery may start to malfunction.
What Uses a CR2032 Battery?
CR2032 batteries are widely used in various low-power electronic devices. Some of the most common uses of a CR2032 battery include:
- Watches – These flat batteries are found in many wristwatches and help to power essential timekeeping functions;
- Remote Controls – The CR2032 battery has been a popular choice to power remote controls of electronic gadgets, such as TVs, DVD players, and even air conditioning;
- Computer Motherboards – CR2032 batteries are often used on the motherboards of desktop computers and laptops to power basic circuitries like the BIOS memory;
- Calculators – Due to their low power consumption, CR2032 batteries are a popular choice for scientific calculators and could be found as supplementary batteries in some graphing calculators;
- Fitness wearables – Many fitness wearables such as wrist-based activity trackers, heart-rate monitors, and pedometers use coin cell batteries, including the CR2032 battery, to power their basic functions;
- Car key fobs – Some car key fobs use CR2032 batteries to power the remote entry and start-stop functions;
Technical Specifications Of The CR2032 Battery
Here are some of the technical specifications of the CR2032 battery:
- Voltage – The nominal voltage of a CR2032 battery is 3 volts, making it suitable for a wide range of low-power devices;
- Capacity – The capacity of the CR2032 battery varies between manufacturers, but it typically ranges from 190mAh to 240mAh. This means that the battery can deliver this amount of energy over a certain period of time;
- Chemistry – As mentioned earlier, the CR2032 battery uses lithium chemistry, which provides a high energy density. This allows the battery to deliver a lot of power in a small package;
- Dimensions – The diameter of the CR2032 battery is 20mm, and its thickness is 3.2mm. The battery’s form factor is like other coin cell batteries;
- Shelf Life – The shelf life of a CR2032 battery varies between manufacturers, but it is typically around 10 years. This means that if you have a spare CR2032 battery that has been stored properly, it should still be usable even after a decade ;
CR2450 vs CR2032: Comparison
The capacity of a battery refers to the amount of energy it can store. The CR2450 has a higher capacity than the CR2032. The nominal capacity of a CR2450 battery is around 620mAh, whereas the CR2032 has a nominal capacity of up to 240mAh. This means that a CR2450 battery can deliver more power over a longer period than the CR2032 battery before needing to be replaced.
Voltage is a measure of the electrical force that drives the current through a battery. Both the CR2450 and the CR2032 have a nominal voltage of 3 volts, which is typical of lithium coin cell batteries.
Both the CR2450 and CR2032 are suitable for use in a wide range of temperatures. The CR2450, in particular, has a wider temperature range, allowing it to operate between -40°C (-40F) to 85°C (185F). The CR2032 typically operates between -20°C (-4F) to 70°C (158F).
Storage And Shelf Life
The shelf life of a battery refers to the amount of time it can be stored before it starts to lose its charge. The CR2450 battery has a longer shelf life than the CR2032. The CR2032 typically has a shelf life of around 10 years, whereas the CR2450 has a shelf life of up to 15 years.
The diameter of the CR2450 battery is larger than the diameter of the CR2032. The diameter of a CR2450 battery is 24.5mm. In contrast, the diameter of the CR2032 battery is 20mm.
The height of the CR2450 battery is also greater than that of the CR2032. The height of a CR2450 battery is 5mm, while the height of a CR2032 battery is 3.2mm.
The CR2450 battery is heavier than the CR2032. The weight of the CR2450 is around 6.8 grams, whereas the weight of the CR2032 is around 3.1 grams.
Neither the CR2450 nor the CR2032 is rechargeable. Once their charge is depleted, they need to be replaced with a new battery.
The battery life of a battery refers to the duration for which it can operate. The battery life of the CR2450 is longer than that of the CR2032 due to its higher capacity. The exact battery life depends on the device in which the battery is used, but the CR2450 typically lasts longer than the CR2032.
The CR2450 and the CR2032 both use lithium chemistry for their cells. Lithium chemistry provides a high energy density that results in long-lasting battery life.
As mentioned earlier, the capacity of the CR2450 is higher than that of the CR2032. The higher capacity allows the CR2450 to deliver more energy and power over a longer period.
The CR2450 is primarily used in devices that require a higher capacity battery, such as remote controls for cars and home automation systems. It is also used in medical equipment, wearable technology, and other low-power devices. The CR2032, on the other hand, is used in devices that require a low to moderate amount of power, such as calculators, wristwatches, and small electronic toys .
What Are The Similarities Between CR2032 And CR2025 Batteries:
- Chemistry: Both CR2032 and CR2025 batteries are lithium-based coin cell batteries. They utilize lithium chemistry, specifically lithium manganese dioxide (Li-MnO2), to generate electrical power;
- Shape and Size: Both batteries share a similar coin-cell shape with a diameter of 20 millimeters. The first two digits of their model numbers (20) indicate their diameter, making them identical in size. The primary difference lies in their thickness;
- Voltage: CR2032 and CR2025 batteries provide the same voltage output of 3 volts. This voltage level is commonly used in many electronic devices, making these batteries suitable replacements for each other in terms of voltage compatibility;
- Applications: CR2032 and CR2025 batteries are used in a wide range of electronic devices with similar power requirements. They are commonly found in devices such as watches, calculators, keyless entry systems, small medical devices, and various portable electronics;
- Availability: Both batteries are widely available and can be easily found in retail stores, online marketplaces, and specialty battery stores. They are commonly stocked due to their popularity and widespread usage;
Despite these similarities, it’s important to note that CR2032 and CR2025 batteries differ in terms of their thickness and capacity. CR2032 batteries are thicker than CR2025 batteries, allowing them to store more energy and provide a higher capacity. Therefore, while they share many similarities, it’s essential to choose the correct battery that matches the device’s specific size and power requirements.
Are CR2450 And CR2032 Interchangeable?
CR2450 and CR2032 batteries are not interchangeable due to their physical size and capacity differences. While they may share some similarities, they have distinct characteristics that make them incompatible with direct substitution in most cases.
Here are the key factors to consider:
- Size: CR2450 batteries are larger in diameter and thicker than CR2032 batteries. CR2450 batteries have a diameter of 24mm and a thickness of 5mm, while CR2032 batteries have a diameter of 20mm and a thickness of 3.2mm. Due to these differences, CR2450 batteries may not fit into devices designed specifically for CR2032 batteries;
- Capacity: CR2450 batteries generally have a larger capacity than CR2032 batteries. The capacity of a battery refers to its energy storage capability. CR2450 batteries can store more energy and provide a higher capacity compared to CR2032 batteries. Using a CR2032 battery in a device that requires a CR2450 battery may result in reduced performance and shorter battery life ;
It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s specifications and recommendations when selecting the appropriate battery for a device. Using the wrong battery size can lead to compatibility issues, potential damage to the device, and inefficient performance. If you need to replace a battery in a device, it’s recommended to use the correct battery type as specified by the manufacturer or consult the device’s manual for the appropriate battery compatibility information.
There are several batteries that are considered to be equivalents or replacements for the CR2450 battery. These include:
It’s important to note that while these batteries may be similar in size and chemistry to the CR2450, they may not have the same voltage, capacity, or other specifications.
There are several batteries that are considered to be equivalents or replacements for the CR2032 battery. These include :
- AWI L14;
Which One Should You Buy Between CR2450 vs. CR2032?
The choice between CR2450 and CR2032 depends on the specific requirements of the device in which the battery will be used. If the device requires a higher-capacity battery, such as in remote control for a car or home automation system, then the CR2450 would be a better option due to its higher capacity, longer battery life, and higher power output.
On the other hand, if the device requires a lower amount of power, such as in a wristwatch or small electronic toy, then the CR2032 would be a suitable option due to its smaller size and lower capacity. It’s always recommended to use the specific battery recommended by the manufacturer to ensure optimal performance and safety.
Where To Buy CR2450 And CR2032 Batteries?
CR2450 and CR2032 batteries are widely available for purchase, both online and in physical retail stores.
Here are some common places where you can buy these batteries:
- Electronics Stores: Visit popular electronics retailers such as Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, or RadioShack. They often have a dedicated section for batteries where you can find CR2450 and CR2032 batteries;
- Online Marketplaces: Websites like Amazon, eBay, and Walmart.com offer a wide range of battery options, including CR2450 and CR2032 batteries. These platforms provide convenient shopping with a variety of brands and sellers to choose from;
- Drugstores and Supermarkets: Many drugstore chains, such as CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid, carry a selection of batteries in their household supplies sections. Large supermarkets like Walmart, Target, and Kroger also often have battery sections where you can find these batteries;
- Specialty Battery Stores: There are dedicated stores that specialize in selling batteries. These stores typically have a comprehensive selection of battery types, including CR2450 and CR2032 batteries. Some examples include Batteries Plus Bulbs and Interstate All Battery Center;
- Online Battery Retailers: Websites like Battery Junction, Battery Mart, and All-Battery.com specialize in selling various types of batteries, including CR2450 and CR2032 batteries. They offer a wide selection and may provide specific technical information about the batteries;
1. Are CR2450 and CR2032 the same?
No, CR2450 and CR2032 batteries are not the same. They differ in terms of their physical size, voltage, and capacity. The CR2450 battery is larger, provides a higher voltage (3.6 to 3.7 volts), and generally has a larger capacity compared to the CR2032 battery, which has a voltage of 3 volts .
2. What battery can replace a CR2032?
A CR2025 battery can be used as a replacement for a CR2032 battery. While the CR2025 battery has a slightly smaller diameter than the CR2032 battery, it has the same voltage and can fit in many devices that are compatible with CR2032 batteries.
3. Can I use CR2032 instead of CR2450?
It is not recommended to use a CR2032 battery instead of a CR2450 battery. CR2450 batteries have a higher voltage and larger capacity compared to CR2032 batteries. Using a CR2032 battery in a device that requires a CR2450 battery may result in reduced performance and shorter battery life.
4. How long does a 2450 lithium battery last?
The lifespan of a CR2450 lithium battery depends on factors such as the device’s power consumption and usage patterns. On average, a CR2450 battery can last anywhere from several months to a couple of years in typical applications.
5. Which is the best CR2450 battery?
The “best” CR2450 battery can vary based on individual needs and preferences. However, some reputable battery brands known for their quality and performance include Panasonic, Energizer, Duracell, and Sony . It is recommended to choose a battery from a reliable brand to ensure reliable performance.
6. Why is it called CR2032?
The naming convention for button batteries typically includes a combination of letters and numbers. In the case of CR2032, “CR” refers to the battery’s chemistry (lithium manganese dioxide), and “2032” indicates its dimensions (20mm in diameter and 3.2mm in height).
7. How many hours does a CR2032 battery last?
The battery life of a CR2032 can vary depending on the device’s power consumption and usage patterns. In low-power devices, such as calculators or small electronic gadgets, a CR2032 battery can last for several months to a few years. In devices that consume more power, such as keyless entry systems, the battery life may be shorter.
8. Can I use CR2032 in a Mercedes key?
Mercedes key fobs typically require a specific type of battery, and the exact battery type may vary depending on the model and year of the vehicle. While some Mercedes key fobs use CR2032 batteries, it is important to consult the vehicle’s manual or contact a Mercedes dealership to ensure the correct battery replacement.
9. Is CR2450 positive or negative?
The positive and negative terminals of a CR2450 battery are typically indicated on the battery itself. The positive side is usually marked with a “+” symbol, while the negative side may have a “-“ symbol or be marked as “GND” (ground).
10. How do you test a 2450 battery?
To test a CR2450 battery, you can use a battery tester or a multimeter set to the voltage measurement mode. Connect the positive and negative leads of the tester or multimeter to the corresponding terminals of the battery. The device will display the battery’s voltage, indicating its remaining charge.
11. How can I test my CR2032 battery without a tester?
If you don’t have a battery tester, you can perform a simple test by placing the CR2032 battery on a flat surface and giving it a gentle roll. If the battery rolls smoothly without wobbling or bouncing irregularly, it is likely to have a sufficient charge. However, this method provides only a rough estimation and is not as accurate as using a battery tester or multimeter.
12. How thick is a 2450 battery?
A CR2450 battery typically has a thickness of approximately 5 millimeters.
13. What is the capacity of the CR2450 lithium battery?
The capacity of a CR2450 lithium battery can vary depending on the specific brand and model. Generally, CR2450 batteries have a capacity ranging from 550 to 620 milliampere-hours (mAh) .
14. Is the BMW key battery CR2450 or CR2032?
The battery type used in a BMW key fob can vary depending on the model and year of the vehicle. While some BMW key fobs use CR2450 batteries, others may require CR2032 batteries. It is recommended to consult the vehicle’s manual or contact a BMW dealership to determine the correct battery replacement.
15. How many volts is a CR2032 battery?
A CR2032 battery provides a voltage of 3 volts.
16. How many watt hours are in a CR2032 battery?
The watt-hour (Wh) measurement is typically not provided for small button batteries like the CR2032. However, the capacity of a CR2032 battery is approximately 220-240 milliampere-hours (mAh), which can give a rough estimate of the energy stored in the battery.
17. Can CR2032 batteries go in checked luggage?
According to the guidelines of most airlines, button cell batteries like the CR2032 are generally allowed in both carry-on and checked luggage. However, it is always advisable to check with the specific airline or transportation authorities for their rules and regulations regarding batteries.
18. Are all lithium batteries the same quality?
No, not all lithium batteries are the same in terms of quality. The quality of a lithium battery can vary based on factors such as the manufacturer, brand reputation, and adherence to quality control standards. It is recommended to choose reputable brands known for producing reliable and high-quality lithium batteries.
19. Can 2032 batteries touch each other?
When two CR2032 batteries come into direct contact with each other, there is a risk of short-circuiting and potential damage to the batteries. It is best to avoid allowing the positive and negative terminals of the batteries to touch each other.
20. Does CR2032 fit CR2450?
No, a CR2032 battery does not fit into a device designed for a CR2450 battery. The CR2450 battery is larger in diameter and thicker than the CR2032 battery, and their sizes are not interchangeable.
21. What are CR2450 batteries used for?
CR2450 batteries are commonly used in various devices that require a reliable power source. They are often found in watches, remote controls, medical devices, small electronics, fitness trackers, and other portable gadgets that have higher power requirements compared to devices that use CR2032 batteries.
22. What is the life of a CR2450 battery?
The lifespan of a CR2450 battery depends on factors such as the device’s power consumption and usage patterns. On average, a CR2450 battery can last anywhere from several months to a few years in typical applications.
23. How long can you store CR2450 batteries?
The shelf life of CR2450 batteries can vary depending on the manufacturer and storage conditions. However, under normal circumstances and if stored properly (in a cool, dry place), CR2450 batteries can typically retain their performance for several years before their overall capacity may start to degrade. It is always recommended to check the expiration or best-by dates mentioned on the battery packaging.
Useful Video: CR2450 vs CR2032 – What is the Difference Between These Batteries